Bob Dunlap is a renowned expert on many firearms, including Beretta pistols, rifles and shotguns. He is a big fan of Beretta, both for their history, design and execution of their products.
For those of you looking for practical instruction in how to get your Px4 pistol completely apart, clean, troubleshoot, make common repairs, and get your gun back together and operating properly with none of those pesky and embarrassing leftover parts, you have come to the right place. Bob uses a cut away gun so that you can actually see how the internal parts function and their relationship to one another. This will help you to understand the design and function of these guns.
If you want the long course, on the design, function and extensive repair of this gun and firearms in general, look into our basic 108 hour Professional Gunsmith course.
Among the items covered in this DVD are:
- Beretta is the oldest company in the world that has been in continuous operation to the present. It began operations 500 years ago with an order for 185 arquebus barrels from the Arsenal of Venice and is still owned and operated by the Beretta family.
- The Px4 is made in Italy, not the American plant in Accokeek, MD where the military and civilian M4 and M92 Berettas are produced.
Design & Function
- Rotating locking system is shown and explained
Double Action Only Gun
- The loading, chambering, ignition, extraction, ejection, reloading cycle is shown and described
- A cut-away gun is used to illustrate and demonstrate the gun™s design and function, including the trigger/fire control system.
- How the drawbar, sear, hammer, and disconnector operate and interact is shown and demonstrated
- Loading function is demonstrated
- Feeding and ejection and the operation of the ejector are shown
- How a controlled feed extractor works, and why it is superior to push feed
- Trigger/Drawbar described as weak point and reason given
- Slide removal is shown and the improvement over the system of the similar Glock
- Loose breach described, shown, problems and cure explained
- Extractor hook design lauded and explained
- Manufacturer of the magazine identified and its high quality product mentioned
- Firing pin blocking safety identified and operation shown
- Ejector identified and operation shown
- Slide stop identified and operation shown
Double Action/Single Action Pistol
- Operation of the single action system shown
- Function and operation of the sear trip lever shown
- How the slide mounted thumb safety prevents the hammer from striking the firing pin when the safety is on
- Safety design and operation
- Ken Brooks demonstrates complete disassembly, special attention given to parts that should not be disassembled under normal circumstances & why
- Noted are parts under spring tension so they are not launched into Never Never Land
- Use of a digital camera or cell phone camera during the disassembly is very useful during the reassembly process
- Magazine removal and disassembly
- Discussion of AGI Disassembly/Reassembly method shown and its reason for use
- Slide removal and disassembly, DA/SA gun includes removal of slide mounted safety
- Frame disassembly
- Fire control assembly removes as a unit, its disassembly shown
Cleaning & Lubrication
- AGI cleaning & lubrication methods shown, along with the reasons for their use
- After cleaning, dry with air gun, a hair dryer, or in the oven on Warm ~185-200 degrees (metal parts ONLY)
- What oil AGI likes to lube the gun with during assembly
- Making sure you have no parts left over
- In many cases the order of assembly is important, Ken shows you the correct order
- Assembly is in reverse order of disassembly
- Getting the right pieces in the right places, the easiest way possible
- Using the proper tool to help you line up the parts to accept their pins
Troubleshooting & Repair
- Fitting the extractor to snap over
- Advantage of mechanically turned off safety over spring turn on
- Problems with trigger bar turning safety off
- How DAO gun sear can wear
Final Thoughts and Wrap- up
If you noticed how often the terms explanation, and demonstration are used, you may be getting some idea of why this course is a must-have for any Px4 Storm pistol owner, or someone who intends to be.
View a sample of the content of this course below.